Finished watching this English grammar lesson about using the modal verbs ‘have to’ & ‘have got to’ correctly. It’s time to test how much you have learned from this English grammar lesson. Take the quiz below.
In this Advanced English Grammar lesson, you will learn how to use the two English modal verbs, ‘have to’ and ‘have got to’. Both could be used interchangeably in your daily English conversation.
Have to: strong obligation or a duty.
- Example: I have to study now.
- Example: We don’t have to pay for food. (in the negative, use ‘don’t’ or ‘doesn’t’)
- Example: Do you have to work tomorrow? (use ‘do’ or ‘does’ to form a question)
- Example: We had to leave early yesterday. (in the past, use ‘had to’)
- Example: If I don’t go to university, I will have to get a job. (‘will have to’ in the future tense.)
Have got to: means a strong obligation.
- Example: I’ve got to finish my homework.
- Example: We haven’t got to pay for the food. (use ‘have not’ in the negative)
- Example: Have you got to go to work tomorrow? (to make a question, place ‘have’ or ‘has’ before the subject)
- Example: I have got to call my mom tomorrow. (use ‘have got to’ for an action to take place in the future. Do not use ‘will have got to’
- Example: You can’t be serious. You’ve got to be kidding.
- Example: This has got to be your shirt. It’s definitely not mine.
The last two examples show that the speaker is certain about something. You can use ‘have got’ when you are certain about what you are saying.
We hope this advanced English grammar lesson has helped you clear your confusion about using ‘have to’ and ‘have got to’ correctly in English. Do subscribe to our Free English lessons online and improve your English speaking.
i will be waiting for ur reply mam…so that i satisfy that u receive my mesg……
Great rachna mam……i have been listening ur lessons for 2 years……but just today i m giving u a comment…..because that time i was not login ur wesite…i just used to take a lessons from youtube……but now i logged in…..i m from pakistan and i love and respect all the teachers of ESL……lets talk……i also listen niharika, cima,tash,ria…..all of u…..and also pay my salam to all mams…..thanx alot for helping us in english…its a very very good job…..and plz send every new lesson in my email…..thank u soo much…….