In this English Grammar lesson, we are going to study using ‘supposed to’ is used in different ways. It is a modal verb and is always followed by the ‘be’ form (is, am, are, was, were) of the verb.
We used ‘supposed to’ when you want to say ‘it is believed or it is said’
- Example: The new James Bond film is supposed to be good.
- Example: Starbucks coffee is supposed to be the best.
It is used to say something is expected.
- Example: I am supposed to get to work at 8 am.
- Example: You are supposed to do your homework daily.
‘Supposed to’ is used to say that something was to happen or take place, but actually did not happen.
- Example: You were supposed to call me last night.
- Example: John and Maria were supposed to get married last month.
When ‘supposed to’ is used in the negative (not supposed to), it means not allowed to do something or prohibited from doing something.
- Example: You are not supposed to smoke in here.
- Example: I am not supposed to tell you the details of what was discussed in the meeting.