We all love sleeping, Don’t we?? Here is a lesson for you with some words and phrases that will help you to talk about sleeping and waking up.
1) Go to Bed – It is an action to go to bed. When you go to bed on purpose to sleep.
Example – Last night I went to bed at 9pm.
2) Fall asleep – The process of closing your eyes and going from being awake to sleep is to fall asleep. It is something that happens to you.
Example – I’m so tired I could fall asleep right now.
3) To take a nap/ Siesta – Sleeping for a short period during the daytime. And Siesta is a short nap taken in the afternoon after the mid-day meal.
Example – I feel so tired this afternoon, I think I will take a nap.
4) A heavy sleeper – Someone who doesn’t get disturbed with any noise while sleeping.
Example – My husband is a heavy sleeper even the loud siren didn’t wake him up last night.
5) Light sleeper – Someone who easily wakes up with the slightest of noise.
Example – I am a light sleeper, so I prefer putting earplugs while sleeping.
6) Sleeps like a baby – To sleep very well or to have a sound sleep.
Example – After a glass of wine I slept like a baby.
7) Tossing and turning – Having a restless sleep, moving around constantly while being asleep.
I didn’t get a wink of sleep; I was tossing and turning all night.
8) Snoring – Loud, unpleasant sound of breathing while being asleep.
Example – I could not sleep because of your loud snoring.
9) Insomnia – Medical term for habitual sleeplessness.
Example – I have to go see a doctor; I think I am suffering from Insomnia.
10) To get up / wake up at the crack of dawn – To wake up very early in the morning.
Example – We had a morning flight to catch so we woke up at the crack of dawn.
11) Sleep in – To remain asleep in bed till late than usual.
Example – On weekends I usually sleep in till late afternoon.
12) To crawl back in bed – To go to bed again after waking up.
Example – This morning I skipped work and crawled back in bed.