I will share easy and quick tips that will improve writing in formal and academic settings.
Avoid using contractions – Do not use contractions while constructing your sentences, esp. if you are writing a business email or formal letters i.e. words like don’t, can’t, shouldn’t, couldn’t, wouldn’t, isn’t, haven’t should be avoided.
Avoid there are/ there is – It will make your sentence more lengthy and boring to read. e.g
- There are many problems in her class (incorrect)
- Her class is facing many problems. (Correct)
- There is an exhibition at the hotel. (Incorrect)
- The hotel is holding an exhibition. (Correct)
Avoid using unnecessary words in your sentences like very; really, a lot instead use better vocabulary. It will definitely not change the meaning of your sentence but will make it sound interesting.
- Students think literature is very hard.
- Students think literature is difficult.
Make use of strong verbs – It will make your sentence sound more appropriate and concrete.
- He gave assistance to my friend. (weak verb)
- My friend assisted him. (Strong verb)
Hi 🙂 and thanks for the lessons 🙂
In the below statements
a) Many students think literature is “very hard”
b) The movie was “really controversial”
here i feel ” very and really ” can be used as intensifiers???? if the answer is no….why????
instead of “very hard” can we use “very difficult”???? and why????
I am little confused with these things. hope they will be cleared. 🙂
I love your lesson because they teach easy way and helpful.