Spoken English lesson, improve your English, speak English
Spoken English lesson to learn English phrases to encourage people. Life is a struggle and we all know that, and that is the reason we all love to hear words on encouragement .When you want someone to try hard, keep going, or not give up, you can “encourage” them.
Here are some English phrases to encourage people that you can use for encouraging someone.
The first three set of English phrases can be used for the people who have not started yet, are still confused to make a decision. So if you want them to stop worrying and just do it use the phrases below:-
Give it a try.
- Example: Your friend has never driven a car with a manual transmission. You offer to let her drive your car, which has a stick shift.
- Example: Your friend wants to go abroad but not sure if he can mange staying without his family so you want to encourage him to just try once.
It’s worth a shot.
- Example: Your brother likes a really beautiful woman who lives nearby. He asks if he should ask her on a date. You think she might say no, but you encourage him anyway.
- Example: Your friend has been talking about quitting his job and starting his own company. You think he should do it soon.
What do you have to lose?
- Example: Your roommate spots a job opening. She seems like she wants the job, but she’s hesitating to apply for it. You think she should go ahead and apply, so go ahead and encourage her by using this phrase.
English Phrases to use when someone is already doing well and you want the, to do much better you can “encourage” someone to continue doing what they were already doing:
There you go!
- Example: You’re teaching your son to cycle. And now he is able to balance well and doing a good job. You can encourage him by saying ‘There you go my son’
Keep up the good work.
- Example: Your student is scoring well in his tests, you can use this phrase to keep him motivated.
Good job, I’m so proud of you!
- Example: Your friend has been featured in the newspaper for some good deed; you would appreciate him by using this phrase.
English Phrases to use when someone is having trouble or facing a bad time
These phrases are ways to tell someone to keep trying:
Hang in there. (slang)
- Example: Your sister is doing her masters. She tells you about how tough her classes are and the number of hours she has to spend doing her projects. You don’t want her to give up therefore you use this phrase.
Keep fighting, Keep pushing
- Example: You’re at a baseball game and your team is losing, so you yell this out to encourage them.
Never say ‘die’. Stay Strong
- Example: Your cousin has cancer and losing hope, you don’t want her to lose hope and just want her t o stay strong and keep fighting, to convey the same you use the phrase above.
Phrases to inspire people
You wouldn’t use these phrases often in standard chat, but in writing or speeches or even lectures they sound very inspirational and boost ups people’s spirit.
Follow your dreams.
Do the impossible.
Believe in yourself.
We hope this spoken English lesson has helped you to learn some useful English phrases and improve your English.