Today’s English lesson is quite interesting as it covers some silly mistakes made by English learners while speaking English. Emmelda is going to teach you some of these common errors made in English even by the advanced English learners at some stage while speaking English.
Unnecessary usage of ‘to’
It’s observed that many English learners use the word ‘to’ too many times even when it’s not required. Form example:
- Tell to him that I want these books. (wrong)
- Tell him that I want these books ( Right)
- Give it to him ( May sound right at some places in a sentences)
- Give him ( sounds more crisp and appropriate)
Tell him this VS Tell this to him
- Could you please tell this to him that I love him ( Wrong)
- Could you please tell him this that I love him (Right)
- Can you this pen to him (Wrong)
- Can you pass him this pen (Right)
Many VS Lot
Many is usually used in formal English, however ‘Lot’ is used in informal English. There is no such rule as to using these two words formally or informally. Many is mainly used with countable nouns whereas Lot is used with uncountable or collective nouns.
- I have lots of dresses many of which are white in colour.
Here lots indicates that Emmelda doesn’t know how mant dresses she has so collectively she says “ she has lots of dresses in her wardrobe” but out of those lots of dresses in her wardrobe she can count and tell how many are white.
Put VS Keep
Keep to maintain possession or to maintain condition. Put mainly means to stow something.
- I will keep this book for a week.
- Please put the book on the table.
Stative verbs VS Action Verbs
Action verbs are verbs which indicate an action such as dancing, singing, playing etc. Stative verbs are verbs which do not have a definite point of the action starting or ending.
- I am loving it (Wrong)
- I love it ( right)
- I am feeling the heat. (Wrong)
- I feel the heat. ( Right)
We hope this English lesson has helped you to overcome those silly mistake made while speaking English and you have enjoyed this lesson. Subscribe and stay tuned for more such interesting English lessons.