There are two main categories of books :
One is fiction and the other one is non – fiction. Fiction books are stories that are made up by he author, stories that are not real whereas the non-fiction books contain factual information such as biographies and history books.
The types of books that are available in the market are :-
Paperback books – Physical books with a thick paperboard cover. basically real books.
E-book – An electronic version of a printed book which can be read on a computer or a specifically designed handheld device.
The other way to locate a book online or at the store is by providing the ISBN number which is an International Standard Book Number. It is a 13 digit code that is given by book numbering agencies to control and facilitate the activities within the publishing industry.
Below are the different Sub-types of Books :-
- Autobiography – an account of a person’s life written by that person
- Book series – Books that are sequenced with the same characteristics.
- Encyclopedia –a book or set of books giving information on many subjects or on many aspects of one subject and typically arranged alphabetically.
- Thriller/ Mystery – These stories are based on imagination . Stories about crime, murders, suspense.
- Romance – Love stories
- Satire –Satire is a technique employed by writers to expose and criticize foolishness and corruption of an individual or a society by using humor, irony, exaggeration or ridicule.
- Cook books – Books with various recipes that you can try out in your kitchen.
- Children books – Fairy-tales , picture books that interests children.
- Dictionary – a book or electronic resource that lists the words with the meanings.
- Anthology –An anthology is a collection of literary works chosen by the compiler. It may be a collection of poems, short stories, plays, songs, or excerpts.
- History – Books with the traces of the past events. Very informative and gives us the sense of what happened in the past.
We hope this online English lesson has helped you to learn English vocabulary related different genre of books. For more such spoken English lesson don’t forget to subscribe to our website.