In this lesson, you will learn few words and phrases that will help you to talk about addiction.
- To be addicted to: means you can’t do without something.
Example: John is addicted to smoking.
- Addict: John is a television addict.
- Addictive: Gambling can be quite addictive.
- To overcome a habit: means to no longer be addicted to be something
John overcame his addiction to something.
- To kick a habit: to get rid of a habit.
Ryan wants to kick the habit of smoking.
General words used to show a person is an addict: add ‘holic’
- Alcoholic: someone who can’t do without drinking.
- Workaholic: a person who works 24/7 and has no social life.
- Shopaholic: people addicted to shopping
- Webholic: someone who loves surfing the internet
- Chocoholic: someone who can’t resist chocolates and must eat a few of them daily