Just as our body needs exercise to stay healthy so does our English. This lesson helps you to talk about fitness in English.
1. To get fit/ Get in shape: This phrase can be used if you want to lose weight and become healthier.
Eg) I have gained too much of weight and I want to get fit or I want to get in shape.
2. Workout: Workout means an exercise routine. If you have been at the gym for a long time you can say I have had a really good workout today.
3. Warm up & Cool down: These are essential elements of any workout routine.
A warm up is a period of light exercise to get the body ready for a god workout whereas the the cool down period involves reducing the intensity of your exercise by gradually slowing down. It is usually followed by stretching which prevents the muscles from getting stiff or any injury.
4. Gym: Gym is slang for the word gymnasium and gymnastic services. It includes weight training to develop and strengthen the muscles and cardiovascular training which is also called cardio. It is vigorous exercise to strengthen the heart and burn calories.
5. Gym Equipment: There are various equipment’s at the gym such as Treadmill which is used for running on the spot, Stationary Bike which is basically a cycling machine, dumb bells etc.
6. Gym Trainer / Fitness Trainer: The person who teaches and guides you at the gym. People also hire personal trainer for personal coaching who only focuses on one individual at a time.
7. Dieting: It is eating less or more healthy food. To be calorie conscious to become fit and slim.
8. Brisk Walking: To walk a little fast to increase the heart rate
9. Jogging: It is an activity of running at a steady and gentle pace
10. Types of exercise classes are:
Yoga: It is a union between body and spirit. It helps curing chronic health problems to attain a peace of mind. It includes stretching movements, breathing exercises and meditation.
Kick boxing: A form of martial art which combines boxing with kicking with bare feet. It has elements of karate.
Aerobics: It’s a form of physical exercise that combines rhythmic stretching and strengthening training and is performed to music.
Pilates : A system of exercise that promotes strengthening and toning of the body using a specialized equipment.
So enjoy this lesson about fitness, avoid drinking, smoking and eating junk food and stay healthy always.