If you’re like most English learners, you find it difficult to make phone calls in English. But if you’re travelling abroad or working in a foreign company, using English on the phone is essential. So how do you conquer this obstacle to fluency?
Here are some Useful telephone vocabulary and phrases in English.
Firstly, when you are the caller the phrases that you can use are
- Hello / Good morning / Good afternoon …
- This is John Brown speaking
- Could I/ May I speak to ……… please?
- I’d like to speak to …..
- I’m calling on behalf of Mr. X …
Receiving a call:-
- Who’s calling please?
- Who’s speaking?
- Where are you calling from
Phrases used for asking the caller to hold:
- Hold the line please
- Hang on (informal speech)
- Just a moment please
Giving negative information:-
- I am afraid he’s in a meeting at the moment.
- I am sorry he/ she is out of the office
- I’m afraid you have got the wrong number.
Leaving or taking a message (When the person you’re calling isn’t available, be prepared to leave a message)
- Can I leave a message ?/ can I take a message?
- Could you ask him to call back?