Finished watching the lesson, Now its time to test what have learned from this lesson. Take the quiz below.[hr style=”single”]
In the following quiz, find out which of the sentences are correct ( using etc.). Select – ‘Right’ or ‘Wrong’[hr style=”single”]
I always thought using ‘etc.’ is simple, well there are some rules to keep in mind while using this word correctly. The use of ‘etc.’ was never taught to us in school, as it was always considered as an abbreviation. In this lesson you will learn the proper usage of the word ‘etc.’
‘etc.’ is used as a short way to say ‘so on’.
Following are the tips to use ‘etc.’ correctly:-
- It is important that the items that we include in a sentence should be of the same kind. Example: – Bring me soda, alcohol, ice cubes, tonic water etc. for the party tonight.
- Do not use ‘and’ before ‘etc.’
- Do not use etc. to refer to people
- Do not use an introductory phrase for a list ‘such as’ along with etc.
- Do not use etc. more than once in a sentence.
- While speaking one can use the words ‘blah blah blah ‘instead of and so o or etc. but it is not correct to use while writing.
- While writing one can also use the three dots ‘…’ instead of the word etc. The three dots are called as ellipses.