Subscribe! to our lessons
Finished watching the lesson, now its time to test how much have you learned from this lesson. Take the quiz below.
‘Must’ is a modal verb. It has different meanings depending on how it is used. In this English lesson, you will take a look at some example sentences using ‘must’.
- Example: I must finish the work before I leave. ( an obligation one imposes on himself)
- Example: this must be the correct address. (shows certainty)
- Example: You must visit the dentist. (a strong recommendation)
When ‘must’ is put in negative, it indicates prohibition of something.
- Example: She must not use abusive language.
- Example: You must not play with fire.
There is no past form of ‘must’. ‘Had to’ is used.
- Example: I had to wake up early.
When ‘must’ is used with a past participle verb, it means a past probability.
- Example: She must have found the keys.
- Example: They must have reached on time.
Must is also used as a noun, when you say something is a necessity.
Get Free English Lessons on WhatsApp!